Tuesday, August 3, 2010

My newest re-dos

I have been looking for a hall tree for my foyer for years but all the ones that I like were upward off $600.00- definitely not in my budget. So a month ago I was at a yard sale when I saw this old seat with attached table which I later found out was a phone table. Apparently you put the phone on the table and a phone book on the little shelf.

It was marked $65 which was more than I wanted to spend but I really thought it would work in the foyer. So I went home and got John and figured if he liked it I would make an offer if it was still was there.If it wasn't it wasn't meant to be. We decided $50.00 was the limit we would offer. When we got back 1/2 hour later it was already marked down to $50.00! John offered $40.00 and they settled for $45.00. $20.00 less than the original price!

I liked the green but it didn't match my house.At all. I decided to paint it  Valspar Java Brown satin finish.
I had a beautiful material that I had purchased to recover my dining room chairs which somehow never got done that was a perfect fit.

Here's the completed project

The wires in the phone are from the cell phone chargers.I had John drill a hole in the shelf so I could use it as a charging station. I guess this is still being used as a phone table. I didn't realize they were so visible until this photo-I'll have to pull them in more
Close-up of the seat

I'm happy with the way it turned out now let me tell you what I don't like
  • The wall color-I've hated it since they day it was painted. John promises me it will soon be gone.
  • The ugly dried plant arrangement. It stays until I can find/make something to replace it. Any suggestions welcome!

Another project I completed was an end table for my studio. I was using a portable black filing cabinet as a table and it really had to go but being "thrifty" I didn't want to spend much on a table. I found this little beauty in front of an abandoned house by my cousin

I had originally planned on painting it black but I had white in the house leftover from Sophia's lamps so I figured I give it try-worse that could happen is I don't like the results and try again.

I liked the results.  My only problem with it is I think you lose some of the beautiful details on the legs in the white. If anyone has any ideas on how to make them stand out more I'd love to hear it.
I'll show you how it looks in my studio once it clean it up enough to not be horrified with it being photographed


Thanks for your comment!



Related Posts with Thumbnails

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact We will and do accept and keep free products, services, travel, event tickets, and other forms of compensation from companies and organizations. The compensation received will never influence the content, topics or posts made in this blog. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Those advertisements will be identified as paid advertisements. The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest


Back to TOP